Our History
GF JamesThe practice emerged in the 1920s, founded by Mr. George Frederick James who started his own practice after the sudden demise of his former employer, Mr. Prichard of Prichard & Co. Accountants.

Mr. James' new practice benefited from his previous clientele contacts at Prichard & Co. The establishment was soon joined by Mr. Clarence Percival Stanley upon his qualification as a Chartered Accountant. They formed a partnership under the name of "James, Stanley & Co. Accountants & Auditors".

The original site of the office at the time was at 46 Cherry Street, Birmingham, which at present houses the department store Rackhams, House of Fraser. The current staff entrance for Rackhams was back then the entrance to the office of James, Stanley & Co. Their client portfolios included foundries and engineering companies in the Black County, manufacturing jewellers in the Jewellery Quarter of Birmingham, several coal merchants, cinemas in Bristol and hotels in Devon.

In January 1940, Mr. George Frederick James' son, Eric joined the firm having left school.

After almost 2 years of working, he enlisted in the army and rejoined the firm in October 1946. During the Second World War, the office in Cherry Street was in fact bombed twice. While working for the firm, Mr. Eric James became a qualified Chartered Accountant in 1954. He took over the business upon the demise of his father, Mr. George Frederick James at the age of 68 in 1961. The practice's name changed to what we now know as "James, Stanley & Co. Chartered Accountants". Mr. Clarence Percival Stanley was still in practice until his death several years later.

The James' family tie was continued by Mr. Andrew James, son of Mr. Eric James. Andrew, a University of Birmingham graduate subsequently did his articleship at Touche Ross & Co. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant in the early 1980s. Andrew joined James, Stanley & Co. in 1985 and in 1987, Mr. Eric James retired from the practice leaving his son, Andrew as the sole practitioner.